Cavechan

Releases read: 77

Cavechan
Cavechan

Cavechan

posted Feb 24, 2018

Lots of Various Questions

When viewing comics, there's currently zoom out, zoom in, and full screen options. What about options for view actual size and fit to height?

I'm sure this will come up eventually as it always does, what about mature content? Will there be a tag, warning, etc for comics with mature content? What will GC consider as mature content?

Do readers actually use and prefer the panel-by-panel animation viewing? I tried it once and it seemed jarring, tried it on my comic and it seemed kind of neat, and then tried it again on another comic and it was again just too jarring and distracting. Has there been testing of which option keeps a reader's attention the longest?

Could there also be an option to have the default view be the full page and then readers could turn on interactive if they prefer it? The way my comic works is by seeing the full page first, rather one panel.

I'm a bit confused by my personal profile, my creator profile, and then my comic profile. It seems like a lot. Could a creator profile have more than one personal profiles attached? Like if a writer and an artist are working on the same comic? But it also seems like my comics are not attached to my personal profile at all. So if I click on someone's name here in the forums, I can't see a list of comics they make. 

I saw a comment left on my comic but didn't receive a notification for it.

ONE MORE - There seems to be a mix of using "following" and "enabling alerts" which I think are essentially the same thing. Is there a difference?

Sorry for the question spam. I really love the layout and look of this site so far and am really interested in using it more for my comics. 

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Releases read: 205

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

Releases read: 205

posted Feb 24, 2018

@Cavechan here's some answers for you :)

When viewing comics, there's currently zoom out, zoom in, and full screen options. What about options for view actual size and fit to height?
We're actively working right now on fixing up the zooming modes for non-interactive comics. More details to come here soon!
I'm sure this will come up eventually as it always does, what about mature content? Will there be a tag, warning, etc for comics with mature content? What will GC consider as mature content?
First, off, here's our content policy that outlines the do's and don'ts: https://globalcomix.com/content-policy

Secondly, we're still properly figuring out how we would identify and display mature content from a UI perspective. There's an interesting suggestion in this thread where creators could for example outline intended audiences. That might be a good way to indicate what a comic is about, I'm still thinking this through though.
Do readers actually use and prefer the panel-by-panel animation viewing? I tried it once and it seemed jarring, tried it on my comic and it seemed kind of neat, and then tried it again on another comic and it was again just too jarring and distracting. Has there been testing of which option keeps a reader's attention the longest?
So-far the consensus is that panel-to-panel is vastly superior for mobile reading, and pretty decent for desktop reading. It does rely a little on the creator taking time to set it up nicely (think adding points and surrounding panels properly, rather than just using rectangles that may or may not fit the underlying graphic everywhere).

We'll continue to polish and improve this tool as we get more content to test it against -- don't worry, it's not "done" just fully yet :)
Could there also be an option to have the default view be the full page and then readers could turn on interactive if they prefer it? The way my comic works is by seeing the full page first, rather one panel.
Users can turn off interactive mode through the reading Nav (tap once on the image do display if you're on a mobile device). This setting then persists for the user until they change it (cookies!).
I'm a bit confused by my personal profile, my creator profile, and then my comic profile. It seems like a lot. Could a creator profile have more than one personal profiles attached? Like if a writer and an artist are working on the same comic? But it also seems like my comics are not attached to my personal profile at all. So if I click on someone's name here in the forums, I can't see a list of comics they make. 
Think of your creator profile and user profile in the same way you think of having a facebook page and your facebook profile. The creator profile is intended to be a "branded" experience that shows off and focuses only on your comic works and published content, where your user profile is all about who you are, where you're participating in discussions, and whatnot.

I think it's a good idea to also add a link to "View My Comics" type thing in the forum. I'll look at adding that soonish!
I saw a comment left on my comic but didn't receive a notification for it.
There should have been a notification on-site for it. I haven't enabled email alerts for that just yet while we figure out if that would be too spammy. We're also, in the longer term, looking at having a frequency setting for email alerts that would choose between "as it happens, daily, weekly, etc". This might be a good thing to put in place before adding too many more email alerts to the system :)
ONE MORE - There seems to be a mix of using "following" and "enabling alerts" which I think are essentially the same thing. Is there a difference?
Good question, and I agree the UI doesn't make it properly clear yet what the differences are.

Following a creator means that your home feed gets all the things they publish (status updates, and any releases for all the comics they create).

Enabling alerts on a comic also places new releases for that specific comic in your home feed, but it also subscribes you for an email alert whenever a new release is published. This alert subscription is specific to the comic, and won't affect other comics by the same creator.

It may be that we change/merge these two settings in the future, but for now, this is how it works :)
Sorry for the question spam. I really love the layout and look of this site so far and am really interested in using it more for my comics. 
Hey, no need to apologize! I'm here to serve you guys and help answer any questions you may have :) I'm really happy to hear you like the layout and look! We're excited to see what more stories you create and publish.

Hope this helped clarify some stuff!

Best,

Chris

Cavechan
Cavechan

Cavechan

Cavechan
Cavechan

Cavechan

posted Feb 24, 2018

There should have been a notification on-site for it. I haven't enabled email alerts for that just yet while we figure out if that would be too spammy. We're also, in the longer term, looking at having a frequency setting for email alerts that would choose between "as it happens, daily, weekly, etc". This might be a good thing to put in place before adding too many more email alerts to the system :)

Ok, I DO see one now. Strange, I didn't see one earlier.

I tried out my comic on my phone and I'm surprised the panel by panel would be the more popular option. I guess it depends on how the comic is made since I make mine with a page in mind, not by individual panel.

I'm having some issues with the scrolling though because sometimes it goes backwards. I see that scroll up goes backwards and scroll down goes forwards, but sometimes I'm scrolling down and it goes backwards. I'm using a Galaxy S5.

Thank you for answering everything!

AhkwardKat
AhkwardKat

AhkwardKat

Releases read: 31

AhkwardKat
AhkwardKat

AhkwardKat

posted Feb 27, 2018

@Cavechan -- I also make my comic with a page in mind since I print my comics as well. I find that for most comic websites so far, they want the vertical scrolling option, which I personally DESPISE. Not because it is clumsy and hard to read, but because I HATE making a second version of my comic. If you don't make a scrolling version, you get ignored. I have had much better success be converting my comic which takes hours. I have a day job that has 10-11 hour shifts. I don't have time to be making two versions of it.

So personally, I think this panel by panel thing works out really well for us Page-creators. I had no problem reading your comic as it let me focus on one thing at a time while maintaining the full page for viewers to see if that want. I think it is a brand new system and will take some readers getting used to it, but I think it will be a wonderful system once we get a large number of people working with it and posting.

Cavechan
Cavechan

Cavechan

Cavechan
Cavechan

Cavechan

posted Feb 27, 2018

For sure! That's why I am adding in the panels as I upload. I actually use desktop almost 100% for comic viewing, so full page is personally better for me. Of course, not everyone is going to have the same preference, so I'm adding them in for those people. Gotta consider how the readers may feel and that trumps how I do.

AhkwardKat
AhkwardKat

AhkwardKat

AhkwardKat
AhkwardKat

AhkwardKat

posted Jun 21, 2018

@Cavechan I guess sorta but to a point? Like I can't let my readers control everything I do. I understand making it a readable format, but after a certain point, it makes me uncomfortable to read my own manga and I don't think that's fair to me as a creator.