oystersalsa

Releases read: 1

oystersalsa
oystersalsa

oystersalsa

posted Feb 22, 2018

More genre options

There's only five genres in the search menu? Webtoons or Lezhin or even scanlation sites goes deep into types of genres so its easy to find types of comics. Can you give us more options please? Like Romance or Shonen Ai or Slice of Life, etc. I mean, there's not even one for Comedy in graphic novels?

oystersalsa
oystersalsa

oystersalsa

oystersalsa
oystersalsa

oystersalsa

posted Feb 22, 2018

Why are there even different genre menu choices between comics , graphic novel, and manga??? Surely there's crossovers between them.like, I can do yuri but I don't do manga. Or, i do manga style art but i dont want to call it manga .

oystersalsa
oystersalsa

oystersalsa

oystersalsa
oystersalsa

oystersalsa

posted Feb 22, 2018

And please add a Josei option if you have seinen. 

oystersalsa
oystersalsa

oystersalsa

oystersalsa
oystersalsa

oystersalsa

posted Feb 22, 2018

What about if I do manga style art but i don't want to call it manga? I don't get where the distinction is in your menus.

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Releases read: 205

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

posted Feb 23, 2018

@oystersalsa lot's of great questions! Let me address them as best as I can!

There's only five genres in the search menu? 
We actually only show options that have content available at any time in the browse menu. There's lot's more available when you're uploading and configuring your comic(s) as I'm sure you've seen based on your other comments :) This is to prevent "dead ends" as a user who is looking for something to read, so we don't offer paths that lead to zero comics! As the collection grows, as will the options listed in any one set of browse views!

Can you give us more options please? Like Romance or Shonen Ai or Slice of Life, etc. I mean, there's not even one for Comedy in graphic novels?
Yes, we certainly can! I'll get right on this. Could you provide a list of comic type to category (ex: "Graphic Novel -> Dancing") that you'd like to see? An extensive list is great, but while you suggest a lot, we may choose to not add everything. If this is the case, I'll let you know why!
And please add a Josei option if you have seinen.
This sounds pretty straight forward. I'll add Josei this evening and let you know when it's done.
Why are there even different genre menu choices between comics , graphic novel, and manga??? 
The original thinking behind this is that, what constitutes a shonen is not very well captured in traditional western categories, and vice versa. Some groups have a clear overlap, and some really don't. For example, "Yaoi" and "Yuri" in manga terms, would both fall under "Romance" in western terms, without the ability to select exectly what that is and means.

We opted for separating manga categories from western comic categories so we could preserve the uniqueness that goes into each group and style. Both from a reader and discoverability perspective, as well as from a creator and categorization perspective.

That said, we're not dead-set on it, and may change it in the future if there's enough feedback to warrant a change :-)
Why are there even different genre menu choices between comics , graphic novel, and manga??? Surely there's crossovers between them.like, I can do yuri but I don't do manga. Or, i do manga style art but i dont want to call it manga .
This is actually a really great question, and it boils down to reader (and creator) expectations.

It boils down to the fact that that manga is a specific type of art and story telling style. So if you're creating and publishing manga, you should have the full set of categorization available to you that you (and readers) are used to (even when western terminology and groupings don't capture this).

And western style comics or graphic novels also have their own established set of categorization, expectations of style, and definitions of categorization that come with it.

The idea of an art style being manga, but you're not making manga is interesting. It begs the question, what are you actually making? In many senses, that becomes a question that only you can answer as the creator, and since we provide a duality of categorization, I'd love to know which genres you feel are missing :)

To answer your question about doing Yuri but it not being a manga, you'd simply categorize it as "Romance" story :)

I hope this sheds some insight into our thoughts, and please -- do list any categories (for both groupings of categorization) that you feel are missing.

I saw you mentioned "Josei". I'll be adding that tonight along with a few other requests we've gotten so far :)

Best,

Chris

rolling-vegetable
rolling-vegetable

rolling-vegetable

Releases read: 17

rolling-vegetable
rolling-vegetable

rolling-vegetable

posted Feb 23, 2018

I think the genre and categorization is becoming a bit a pain to define any comic because the objective is kind of getting off.

I think since globalcomix is launching soon it is best for the site to take initiative to make this right right off the bat.

Lets do this objectively:

Genre: This should define the major setting of the story, comic/manga may only appear in one of the Genre.

Action: Fiction of Fighting and battle as main premise.
Adventure: Fiction of Discovery and travelling as main premise.
Fantasy: Fiction of Unreal world or imaginary world as main premise.
Slice of Life: Fiction of Real world as main premise
Historical: Recreation or fiction based on real world events or historical record
Romance: Fiction of character with intimate/detail relationship as main premise.
Biography: Actual story of character with intimate/detail relationship as main premise.
Comedy: Fiction of mischievous story line with imaginary character as main premise.
Satire: Comedy that may connected to real world character, without intention of offending the actual people/entity.
Abstract: Story in a form of ambiguous story and character.
Horror: Fiction which uses some form of fear factor and bizarre occurence as main premise.
Thriller: Fiction which uses some form of problem solving of conflicts
Sports: Fiction revolves around actual or imaginary sports.

Subgenre: This should define the secondary and tertiary major plot of the story, this is only to further define the genre of the story or some sees it as TAG. This should be an advance filter only, appear only when a user already selected a Genre filter. One comic should not have more than 2 of these tag.

Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Slice of life .... Sports (13 genre above) AND:
Yaoi (BL): Boy's and Men's love. Simply defined as male homosexual.
Yuri (GL): Girls's and Women's love. Simply defined as female homosexual.
Bizarre: Unthinkable events.
Political: Involves conflict of ideologies between character
Smut: depiction of intimate sexual act
Ecchi: depiction of light sexual act and tease
Musical: Setting
School: Setting
Profession: Setting
Mature: may contain controversial content.

Audience: Target audience which the story target for.

Kodomomuke: Family and young child. Strictly safe and happy content only.
Shounen: Young Male (Teen)
Shoujo: Young Female (Teen)
Seinen: Adult Male (18+)
Josei: Adult Female (18+)
LGBT: Adult LGBT (18+)

Type:

Comic: Story telling through image expression in westernized style.
Manga/Manhwa: Story telling through image expression in easternized style.
Graphic Novel: Story telling through image expression and detailed texts.

Example of applying these attributes:

Rurouni Kenshin:
Genre: Adventure
Subgenre: Action, Historical
Audience: Shounen
Type: Manga/Manhwa

Injustice: Gods among us
Genre: Action
Subgenre: Fantasy, Political
Audience: Seinen
Type: Comic

NANA
Genre: Slice of Life
Subgenre: Romance, musical
Audience: Josei

Death Note
Genre: Thriller
Subgenre: Political, Adventure
Audience: Seinen

@Nimloth I believe this is a good way to give authors a perfect way to define their works and also will be very easy for readers to find what they want. I believe one of the major gripe in LWebtoon is, it is extremely hard to narrow down the genre of comic you like. Since there will be no favoritism towards a genre in this site I think it benefit all parties in a good way.

Btw: I think the formatting is broken, I can't seem to use the list function/format properly.

oystersalsa
oystersalsa

oystersalsa

oystersalsa
oystersalsa

oystersalsa

posted Feb 23, 2018

The above sounds good to me. I agree that Globalcomix needs to get this settled before the site really starts to expand and people miss out on genre tagging. Also right now it's a pain to sift through the types of comics.

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

posted Feb 23, 2018

@rolling-vegetable

@Nimloth I believe this is a good way to give authors a perfect way to define their works and also will be very easy for readers to find what they want. I believe one of the major gripe in LWebtoon is, it is extremely hard to narrow down the genre of comic you like. Since there will be no favoritism towards a genre in this site I think it benefit all parties in a good way.
This is actually a pretty great setup. Let me ponder it a bit more and see what I can add / do with it :)

rolling-vegetable
rolling-vegetable

rolling-vegetable

rolling-vegetable
rolling-vegetable

rolling-vegetable

posted Feb 23, 2018

This is actually a pretty great setup. Let me ponder it a bit more and see what I can add / do with it :)
Nice! I'm glad the message went through and hopefully misconception towards the genre finally cleared in coming future.

Credit to my Japanese friend, Tomo-kun who actually told me about shounen, shoujo, seinen and josei not being a genre. It was actually magazine category which compiles manga relevant to each age group.

bilvyy
bilvyy

bilvyy (Bilvy)

Releases read: 5

bilvyy
bilvyy

bilvyy (Bilvy)

Releases read: 5

posted Feb 24, 2018

I'm not sure if this thread is asking for more suggestions, but I would love to see a Crime or Crime/Mystery genre! I feel like this is a large and versatile label for a lot of comic types.

As an LGBT reader and creator I also beg that you don't make separate "BL" and "GL" categories, these are usually associated with super fetishised content and it's way more appropriate to simply make a "LGBT" category for people who want to read queer fiction.

rolling-vegetable
rolling-vegetable

rolling-vegetable

rolling-vegetable
rolling-vegetable

rolling-vegetable

posted Feb 24, 2018

As an LGBT reader and creator I also beg that you don't make separate "BL" and "GL" categories, these are usually associated with super fetishised content and it's way more appropriate to simply make a "LGBT" category for people who want to read queer fiction.
I can't speak for LGBT community because I'm straight but I would like to disagree because I've seen that people in tapas forum complained about GL being drowned by BL by sheer number. So I think it is still best separate them so that reader who has specific preference will have an easier time finding what they are looking for without having to browse for a long time to find anything they like. I think the way to go is to make the site more towards reading activity and less searching.

This is critical because once the site gets critical number like Tapas and Webtoon, searching became a chore, I always hate the experience in Tapas and Webtoon for not be able to narrow down comics in a much more filtered way.

Eric
Eric

Eric

Releases read: 28

Eric
Eric

Eric

posted Feb 24, 2018

What about comedy that isn't a long webcomic with an ongoing storyline, but but simply comic strips? The kind that is found at GoComics. Maybe there should be a sub-genre of comedy daily comic strips and a comedy webtoon? Because the two really aren't the same.

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

posted Feb 24, 2018

@rolling-vegetable, @oystersalsa, @bilvyy -- I've started the work on thinking about updating our categorization and taxonomy. It's not something that I want to rush into changing, but I would love to work together everyone here and come up with the best result together.

To that note, I've created this Google Spreadsheet and given comment access to folks who view: Google Sheet

Do share thoughts - let's come up with something great together.

oystersalsa
oystersalsa

oystersalsa

oystersalsa
oystersalsa

oystersalsa

posted Feb 26, 2018

These look good and comprehensive so far.

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

posted Mar 3, 2018

All,

I've pushed the first update to our genres. These now include unified categories between comics and manga, plus also added all the ones that were missing compared to the spreadsheet.

The next step will be to add the other secondary stuff :)

Eric
Eric

Eric

Eric
Eric

Eric

posted Mar 3, 2018

I've made the changes to either 'gag-a-day' or 'slice-of-life'

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

posted Mar 18, 2018

@Eric @oystersalsa @bilvyy we have added the "theme" and "audience" second level categorization options :) You can now set them for your comics, and it's displayed on the comic page with links to filter the browse all by these settings.