image/svg+xml

Hey just joined heard about this site from a thread on Tapastic. - GC Forums

Delphonse posted Feb 19, 2018

Hey just joined heard about this site from a thread on Tapastic.

Hello my name is Delphonse and I run Grinning Lion Studio. I just joined and am happy to see there is a forum on this site. It really helps with bringing people together. I posted one of my comics on here just now and will probably post the second one later ^.^ You will probably see me around a bit as I get use to how this site works. is there anyone in particular I can give feed back to as I learn more about this site?

Nimloth admin posted Feb 19, 2018

Hello my name is Delphonse and I run Grinning Lion Studio. I just joined and am happy to see there is a forum on this site. It really helps with bringing people together. I posted one of my comics on here just now and will probably post the second one later ^.^ You will probably see me around a bit as I get use to how this site works. is there anyone in particular I can give feed back to as I learn more about this site?
Hey @Delphonse, and welcome to GlobalComix!

I'm one of the admins here at GlobalComix, and there are 4 others: @Osso, @Lexflex, @tore, @MaggieMacAlpine

When it comes to feedback, the best bet is to use the "Bug Reporting" forum to report problems, and the "Suggestions" forum to make improvement or feature suggestions, but you can always @mention us in threads to grab our attention!

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and feedback, so please share anything you think might be helpful :)

Thanks a ton @Nimloth I am not use to giving feedback but I will do my best to assist how I can ^.^

ArushiRaj posted Feb 19, 2018

Hi @Delphonse. I came here from a Tapas thread too. Today is my first day and though I am having a bit trouble getting used to new interface (made lots of rookie mistakes), 3 episodes in I think I am getting a hang of it. 
https://globalcomix.com/c/existentialist-crisis

From what I have seen, I like it here. It's nice to be part of a new community. Looking forward to explore more creators!

@ArushiRaj yay another Tapas creator. I am slowly getting use to it all too. Definitly a little different from Webtoons and Tapastic but not bad.

I'll have to check out your comic ^.^

CronaJ moderator posted Feb 19, 2018

Hi @Delphonse and @ArushiRaj! I am also from Tapas (and Webtoon). Glad to see some creators moving over/expanding. :) 

Thanks @Delphonse

Hey @CronaJ. Welcome here :)

Rochrok posted Feb 19, 2018

Came from Tapas as well. So far I really like this site. Still learning how everything goes. 

Hey @Rochrok

Nimloth admin posted Feb 19, 2018

It's really great to see all of you guys testing out our fledgeling platform :)

How's the experience been sofar? Would you recommend it to others that create/publish comics?

Welcome @Rochrok and @CronaJ lets Work hard to make this site as popular as the other ones ^.^

@Nimloth Definitly I gave it a shout out on my facebook page but I was at work so I will update it with a link to the site when I can. It seems straight forward and easy to use which is great for non tech savvy people like myself. I think with a little love and care this site could easily become a popular place for creators.

ArushiRaj posted Feb 20, 2018

Absolutely @Nimloth It's a pretty cool site. 

AwesomeFeelsMan posted Feb 20, 2018

looks like we're all Tapastic people here, that's awesome :D

Merle posted Feb 21, 2018

"raises hand" me too. Gotta try stuff out!

Nimloth admin posted Feb 21, 2018

Welcome @Merle!

Btw, I looked at your first release. You definitely want to use the panel-to-panel creator definition if you're using that tall images :) ... and also probably chop up the images into multiples (though this is strictly not required when panel to panel is enabled).

GlobalComix does not run by infinite-scroll for mobile reading, we guide the user from each point of interest to the next (even across pages).

Merle posted Feb 21, 2018

Oh well, that is true, it kinda looked off for me!
I´ll have to figure it out...Thanks for looking into it tough :)

@Merle no probs. Another FYI ... you don't need to delete a whole comic to retry! You can delete individual pages (by clicking the gear icon on the page in the edit release screen), or delete the release by clicking the delete release button in the bottom left :D

Do you want me to restore the comic you deleted so you can keep the same URL?

CronaJ moderator posted Feb 21, 2018

I'm bringing this over from the Tapas forums. I had asked some questions of @Nimloth there, and I thought it would benefit for others to see his responses :)

-----

cronasonlyfriend:

I already started posting on GlobalComix, and I really like the way it works so far.
Nimloth wrote: Awesome! So happy to hear!

cronasonlyfriend:
In the future, is the intent for GlobalComix creators to be exclusive to GlobalComix? Especially keeping in mind the monetization structure. As of right now, the user-base is very small, so it is difficult for me to foresee myself only posting on GlobalComix.
Nimloth wrote: We will never force anyone to only publish on GlobalComix. Our goal is to make a platform so good, and with enough reader traction, that publishing on GC and monetizing becomes the obvious choice, not a forced one :)

cronasonlyfriend:
My eventual goal with my work was always to post exclusively to one company, whichever one has the best offer for me. The way GlobalComix is set up, it seems also to be looking for exclusivity with (premium?) creators, similar to the Tapas Premium series, or Webtoons' Featured series.
Nimloth wrote: Not sure what gives the impression of exclusivity? :) It's up to individual creators if they want to post in multiple places, however if posting free on other sites and using paid content program on GC, that might be counterproductive.

cronasonlyfriend:
Anyway, I am more interested in learning about business goals for the future of GlobalComix.
Nimloth wrote: Happy to answer those questions, but probably a better idea to ask that in the GC forums instead so it becomes visible to other creators that use our platform.

@CronaJ thanks for bringing this over here!

What were the questions you had about our business goals?

CronaJ moderator posted Feb 21, 2018

@Nimloth You mentioned that GlobalComix doesn't want to force creators to post exclusively here, but obviously, as you said, if there is an option to get paid for your work here, it's the better option to post it only on this site.

The main thing I was curious about is: how do you and the other GlobalComix staff intend on making readers choose GlobalComix over other sites?

The main thing I was curious about is: how do you and the other GlobalComix staff intend on making readers choose GlobalComix over other sites?

@CronaJ this is an excellent question, and one that I want to address in full because it touches on so many aspects of how we think about GlobalComix. This is going to be a long post, so please bear with me.

At a very high level, we think about and evaluate what GlobalComix provides readers with in these three buckets:

1) Ease of access and consumption.
2) Discoverability, availability, and depth of interesting content to read.
3) Meaningful ways to connect with and support [their] favorite creators.

In order to deliver on those reader value props, we have had to really think through what the problems with reading and discovering comics is on the internet at large today. And this actually goes far beyond which service is a personal preference, and all the way into looking at consumption habits across all the different platforms out there.

Allow me to unpack that in full detail.

Ease of access and consumption
As a reader, I want it to be easy and smooth to read comics no matter where I am or where I'm coming from. It should be smooth and immediately available to start reading whether I'm on a phone, or laptop, and whether I clicked a link from Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit, vs went directly to my comics site. Or perhaps, if I'm reading the comic directly on a creator's website that has embedded our reading experience directly (this feature is on our roadmap for early this year).

Sometimes I might not be in a place where I can use a mobile device with a native app to read, I just want to read. And I want to be able to pick up and continue later from any of my other devices. Further, if I'm on a mobile phone, I don't want to "pinch and zoom" 20 times per page to read my comics. I just want to sit back and lazily go through the stories while enjoying myself.

And sometimes, I might not be in a location with access to the internet (such as on an air plane). I still want to read my comics and enjoy myself.

The first two paragraphs are what has guided GlobalComix thought about what the reading experience should be and how readers can access GlobalComix. It's what's given birth to our panel-to-panel reading, as well as prioritizing making a browser-friendly seamless experience that works on all devices, first. And as we continue to tweak and polish our panel-to-panel interactive mode, I am fully confident that we're going to end up in a place that offers the best cross-device consumption experience, period.

To address the last point, as GlobalComix grows in users and contributors, both externally and internally, we'll be looking to create a mobile native OS App suite that offers the same smooth reading experience as through our web platform. Perhaps even better, as this will allow us to do things like "pre-download" a chapter for offline reading without compromising access restrictions (payment circumvention) or worrying about having folks rip the content out and upload to other pirate sites.

For now, we're focusing on the first two sections of this group's problem sets.

Discoverability, availability, and depth of interesting content to read
As a reader, I'd like to be able to dig deep and find comics that really resonate with me. Perhaps, as a native Norwegian, sometimes I'd want to read comics from my home country. Sometimes I want to read Manga translated to English, and sometimes, I want to read comics and strips by creators who tell compelling stories.

Often times though, I find that hitting all 3 of those checks in one place is nigh-on impossible. And what I end up with is having to create a routine for websites to visit, certain apps for certain types of comics, a genuinely terrible experience finding manga that's accessible and consumable online, and a lack of filters to dig into platforms that do offer a wider breadth of content. And, sometimes I find great comics, but in a language that I can't read.

Further, I want to be alerted when there's new comic releases or pages available for me to read, so I can with a single click start immersing myself in the newest goodies.
One of the core tenets of GlobalComix lies in the name: GlobalComix. We are building a platform that's aiming to serve not just English readers, but the whole spectrum of international readers around the world. We're already letting readers search and filter for comics in their specific language, but there's way more to that coming.

Of the big features on our roadmap, a particularly ambitious one is what we call "The Translations Marketplace". This means exactly what the words imply; we're going to build a toolset for creators that helps them manage multi-language versions of their comics, solicit and request translations from translators and community members around the world, and manage the work and approval (and optionally payment) flow to get their work translated. We believe this will go a very long way in broadly expanding the potential reach for each creator, as well as drastically increase the amount of content available to readers anywhere in the world.

Lastly, GlobalComix already comes packed with both on-site and email notifications and alerts when creators publish new work. Take a look at my inbox for exhibit A:

As we continue to grow, we'll tweak, tune, and improve on this significantly by integrating the ability to subscribe for alerts more closely into the reading experience and across the places where people discover creators and comics.

Meaningful ways to connect with and support favorite creators
As a reader, the final thing that really makes a difference is the ability to connect with and support my favorite creators. Whether that means seeing what they're up to and talking about, leaving comments and feedback for them to read, financial support by paying to read their content, or even in some cases, putting a big smile on their face by sending a surprise donation with a nice little thank you message.
We've seen that the donation and support type of behavior is one that works, that creators want, and that readers enjoy. There's a generalized platform for this, it's called Patreon ;) We've also seen that users are willing to pay to read good comics. There's a generalized platform for this too, it's called Comixology.

But what we haven't seen is a platform that combines the ability to appease both sets of behaviors, and that connects the readers with their favorite creators to the point of being able to talk, ask questions, or share a laugh with them.

And that also is a platform that's dedicated to comics, comic publishing, and comics consumption. With all the needs and problem statements I've articulated above, solved.

---

And so, with all of this in mind, we've created GlobalComix as what you see right now; a work in progress that we will keep iterating on, expanding, growing, building, nurturing, and caring about in the same way that you guys put effort, thoughts, emotions and love into the comics that you create.

In the end, we share the same goal and the same values, and that's why we believe we will ultimately be successful, and be able to convince the world of the same thing :)

Eric posted Feb 22, 2018

I'm here from Tapas as well. Hello

Dawgofdawgness posted Feb 23, 2018

Heeeyyya guys :D   

ghostmaya posted Feb 23, 2018

Hello~! Tapastic communtiy to GC~! I wish this site will improve in the future

Nimloth admin posted Feb 23, 2018

Welcome to GlobalComix guys! Lots of new faces here -- very exciting! :)