smbhax

Releases read: 21

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

posted Nov 21, 2019

Browsing my comic in a mobile web browser is awkward

I tried browsing my comic in the Chrome browser on my Android cell phone, and the navigation seemed weird. It's a single-panel comic--Supermassive Black Hole A*--and I created a "frame" for each page/panel, and after I did that each page at least fit on the screen (before that, in landscape view the bottom of the subtitles would be off the bottom of the mobile's screen, with no way to scroll down)--but it isn't clear where to click/swipe, exactly. It seems like I swipe from left to right to go to the *next* page, but this seems backward to me--it feels like this would mean I'd be pushing the pages to the right, which would scroll me *back* through the earlier pages.

And once I reach the last page, and scroll again, suddenly I'm on some kind of thumbnail page, but the thumbs are oddly placed, seem to have some kind of shadow blank page under them, and only show the two previous pages, for some reason. It's a very confusing page.

While browsing the comic, if I hit the browser's Back button, the current page graphic grays out and moves up to the top of the screen...and that's it.

Also while browsing the comic, in landscape mode where the single panel per page takes up the whole browser screen, sometimes when I tap on the image, on a side of it or something, it goes to the next/previous page (although again this seems backward, maybe, with left being forward and right being back?), but sometimes it seems to go to the first or last page, or to pop up a navigation overlay that obscures most of the comic view; and with this navigation overlay up, I would think that clicking in the middle of the screen again, instead of on the navigation buttons now at the bottom, would dismiss the navigation overlay, but instead it just seems to do the usual confusing navigation action--most of the time, anyway. It's all pretty puzzling. Swiping, though it feels backward, is at least fairly reliable compared to tapping.

This is on a kinda old phone, an LG G2 running Android 5.0.2.

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Releases read: 458

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

posted Nov 21, 2019

@smbhax thank you for the detailed reports :) Let me address as much as I can immediately!

It seems like I swipe from left to right to go to the *next* page, but this seems backward to me--it feels like this would mean I'd be pushing the pages to the right, which would scroll me *back* through the earlier pages.
I see. I've already now changed this to be the other way, and will be adding a setting in the viewer settings modal where you can choose your preference.
And once I reach the last page, and scroll again, suddenly I'm on some kind of thumbnail page, but the thumbs are oddly placed, seem to have some kind of shadow blank page under them, and only show the two previous pages, for some reason. It's a very confusing page.
Yea I can see how that seems confusing when you're dealing with single-page "releases". The intent is that it shows the previous releases (which can have many pages). I'll spend some time thinking about how to make this "end of whats available" mode a little more clear.

While browsing the comic, if I hit the browser's Back button, the current page graphic grays out and moves up to the top of the screen...and that's it.
Ah, the funky "react" state mode back experience. This is a bit more tricky to fix, but I've added it to the list; will tackle when I figure out how to do that properly :)

Also while browsing the comic, in landscape mode where the single panel per page takes up the whole browser screen, sometimes when I tap on the image, on a side of it or something, it goes to the next/previous page (although again this seems backward, maybe, with left being forward and right being back?), but sometimes it seems to go to the first or last page, or to pop up a navigation overlay that obscures most of the comic view; and with this navigation overlay up, I would think that clicking in the middle of the screen again, instead of on the navigation buttons now at the bottom, would dismiss the navigation overlay, but instead it just seems to do the usual confusing navigation action--most of the time, anyway. It's all pretty puzzling. Swiping, though it feels backward, is at least fairly reliable compared to tapping.
Noted, I'll add some distance filter to make swipes a bit less wonky so you don't accidentally swipe when tapping.

I've also noted the wonkiness in trying to tap to open the navigation overlay. It seems sometimes it takes two taps instead of one, I'll track that down.

--

Thanks again for the reports, I'll do my best to get them resolved very soon :)

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

posted Nov 21, 2019

Cool, thanks!

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

posted Nov 21, 2019

Noted, I'll add some distance filter to make swipes a bit less wonky so you don't accidentally swipe when tapping.
This has been added. Let me know if the swiping feels a bit better now and less wonky.

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

posted Nov 21, 2019

I see. I've already now changed this to be the other way, and will be adding a setting in the viewer settings modal where you can choose your preference.
I've added a toggle in the settings for the viewer where the reader can choose whether they want to swipe left or right when reading to go to the next page.

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

posted Nov 24, 2019

Yeah, it's way better now--definitely feels like the swiping goes the way I want it to go. : D Nice!

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

posted Nov 24, 2019

Tapping to get the navigation overlay to appear or disappear is still very hit or miss, though.