No feedback, back button after adding frame; text entry lost going to frame edit - GC Forums

Community

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

Releases read: 21

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

posted Nov 21, 2019

No feedback, back button after adding frame; text entry lost going to frame edit

When adding a release:

If I type in the title and synopsis of a release, then click the "add frame" button, the text I had typed in for the title and synopsis is lost (not saved).

In the add frame page, there is no clear "back" button. I know there *is* a link I can click to get back to the release edit page, but it isn't obvious, and it also isn't obvious that the frame edit(s) I just made will be saved if I click it.

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Releases read: 458

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

posted Nov 21, 2019

If I type in the title and synopsis of a release, then click the "add frame" button, the text I had typed in for the title and synopsis is lost (not saved).
I've added a warning to forms globally that warn you if you're leaving a page without saving :)
In the add frame page, there is no clear "back" button. I know there *is* a link I can click to get back to the release edit page, but it isn't obvious, and it also isn't obvious that the frame edit(s) I just made will be saved if I click it.
Yea, in the editor mode, all changes are auto-saved. The link will have to suffice for now -- I'll think about how to make "go back" a bit more prevalent though :)

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

posted Nov 24, 2019

I'm not seeing a warning.

- On Edit Comic Details, click "Create new release."
- On Edit Release Settings, enter text in the "Release Title" and "Chapter Synopsis" fields.
- Upload an image.
- Click "Edit" on the thumbnail (did this used to be "Add Frame?" Not sure I'm following my previous report exactly)
- Click "Untitled Release" at the upper left
= You're now on the wider version of the "Edit Release Settings" page, and the title and synopsis you had entered earlier are missing. I did not encounter the "warning to forms globally" that you mentioned adding.

This also happens--with no warning that I saw--if you click the "View" button on the thumbnail, rather than the "Edit" button.

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

posted Nov 24, 2019

In general, the two-stage "Release Settings" screen, where at first the title and synopsis entry is in a narrow column on the left, and then after saving or going to editing and back, the title and synopsis entry is in the middle, is kind of confusing, and feels like it could benefit from being made into one cohesive screen.

"Edit" and "View" taking you to a screen without a clear back button is pretty awkward, and getting back to the exact edit screen you were on, even when you know the link to click to back out, feels hit or miss. Maybe Edit and View should instead open in a large pop-over panel--like the settings (gear icon) button next to them, only bigger. That way, you could simply have a [X] close button in the upper right corner, and it would be clear how to get back; and it would be consistent with the settings button.

On the second Release Settings screen, it is easy to miss the uploaded comic images, way down at the bottom.

On the first Release Settings screen, clicking "Go to release" in the upper left corner goes to a "Page not found" page.

On the first Release Settings screen, the title and synopsis fields are too narrow for easy editing.

Also on the first Release Settings screen, you can't save before you have at least entered a title, but the "Save changes" button is still enabled. It would be clearer if the button was grayed out until it could be used.

Possibly also you should not be able to save until you've uploaded at least one image--at least as long as you're keeping the two-stage Release Settings screen process. That way, you couldn't save until clicking "Save changes" would advance you to the second Release Settings screen, thereby bypassing some of the awkwardness involved in the screen-hopping possible through the various links available to the user in this arrangement.

As an author I want to be able to publish a page with as little clicking about as possible. Under the current system, I have to go through the first Release Settings screen, a second Release Settings screen, adding a frame--another screen--and then a Schedule and Publish screen. This is about 3 screens more than I want to go through.

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

posted Nov 24, 2019

@smbhax man you're giving good feedback but lots of work :D

I'll work on this stuff over the next few days and come up with something good -- thanks for taking time to write this out!

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

posted Nov 24, 2019

@smbhax seems I had temporarily broken the warning I implemented. Could you try again?

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

posted Nov 24, 2019

Ah, yeah, now I get a generic browser pop-up warning about info I've entered being lost, am I sure I want to proceed--when clicking Edit or View.

I'm not sure that warning would help me a whole lot if I didn't already know what was going on here; I mean, it would stop me from continuing, maybe, but I think I would be pretty confused. This is another case where maybe Edit and View should be greyed out until proper saving has been done.

~~~~~~

New thing: today when I upload an image, no progress meter is appearing below the "Click or drag image files..." box if I just upload a single image--until I click and add a second image, then suddenly the progress meter comes up. Specifically, it looks like the meter will not appear until I have at least two images uploading at once. This was not the case yesterday (yesterday, the meter would appear with just one image, although it always seemed to start at about 5% and then jump to 100%, so I wasn't sure how actually accurate it was).

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

posted Nov 24, 2019

I'm not sure that warning would help me a whole lot if I didn't already know what was going on here; I mean, it would stop me from continuing, maybe, but I think I would be pretty confused. This is another case where maybe Edit and View should be greyed out until proper saving has been done.
Mmmm, I'm still thinking about what is the best flow here. This particular state has been bugging me for almost 2 years, heh. Slowly improving it though!

New thing: today when I upload an image, no progress meter is appearing below the "Click or drag image files..." box if I just upload a single image
Ah... yes.. seems I accidentally removed the display handling for individual files while I was working today to significantly improve the ZIP and PDF status handling.

I'll fix this shortly this eve.

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

posted Nov 25, 2019

Ah... yes.. seems I accidentally removed the display handling for individual files while I was working today to significantly improve the ZIP and PDF status handling.I'll fix this shortly this eve.
This is now both fixed and improved from how it used to be :)

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

posted Nov 26, 2019

(This it too minor for a new thread and it has to do with adding a frame so I'm lumping it in here. : P)

On the frame Edit page, after you click the "Add Frame" button, the help text in the left-hand margin is still directing you to click the "Add Frame" button.