"Blog" entry, comment section location, subscribe & donate icons, forum post preview - GC Forums

Community

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

Releases read: 21

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

posted Nov 21, 2019

"Blog" entry, comment section location, subscribe & donate icons, forum post preview

(Continued from a SmackJeeves forum thread.)

Quote by smbhax
Other than that, and not having each "chapter's" blog post appear beneath the comic images, but only on the "chapter" thumbnail page, it seems okay, I guess.

Quote by NimlothCQ
What do you mean not having the blog post? Do you mean the chapter synopsis? And do you mean it should be visible when in the reading mode? :)

I mean like on the current SmackJeeves, when I post a new page, I can post an "Author's comment" that goes underneath the page, with text and hyperlinks and other markup stuff. I use that as a daily blog entry space. Tapas/Webtoon also do this, without image support and with less/no markup support. On GlobalComix, yes, the only text entry area associated with a posted page is the chapter synopsis. I can see how with your whole sort of fancy scaling bouncy comic viewing mode, a text and in-line image post might not work so well. And you also run all comments through the chapter synopsis list anyway. So I guess it may just take me some getting used to.

I was going to say that someone going directly to the latest page of a comic would miss the synopsis/comment list page, but I guess there's no effective way to get to the latest comic page without going through the synopsis page, anyhow.

... Oh no I see, there is, I think--it looks like if I'm subscribed to a comic and it updates, I can jump directly to the new page through my follow notification list. If my subscribers do that, there isn't much chance they'd see the chapter synopsis, I guess, unless they were really dedicated to back-tracking there to leave a comment.

I would think that not having that comment section, or at least the dynamic icon for it, available directly from the actual comic page itself may lead to less comment activity taking place than would otherwise.

Kind of unrelated, but it took me a minute or two to figure out how to subscribe to a comic. It's the "Enable alerts" button on the chapter list page, but that language, and little bell(+) icon, did not say "PUSH THIS TO SUBSCRIBE" to me. It also isn't a very graphically emphasized button; as a webcomic author I would want my Subscribe button to be almost unbearably obvious and unavoidable. I would also want it on each and every comic page, like up in the navigation bar.

The Heart "donate" icon on the mobile chapter list page looks much more like the typical subscribe button, to me. (Also, I can't find that Donate/heart button in the non-mobile view.)

Also, it would be lovely to have a Preview button for forum posts. : )

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

smbhax
smbhax

smbhax

posted Nov 21, 2019

Also, here on the forum the "Edit" button is invisible unless you happen to have your mouse pointer over the post itself--this led to me hunting around a bit before I happened to get it to appear.

Nimloth
Nimloth

Nimloth

Releases read: 458

Nimloth admin
Nimloth

Nimloth

Releases read: 458

posted Nov 21, 2019

I mean like on the current SmackJeeves, when I post a new page, I can post an "Author's comment" that goes underneath the page, with text and hyperlinks and other markup stuff. I use that as a daily blog entry space. Tapas/Webtoon also do this, without image support and with less/no markup support. On GlobalComix, yes, the only text entry area associated with a posted page is the chapter synopsis. I can see how with your whole sort of fancy scaling bouncy comic viewing mode, a text and in-line image post might not work so well. And you also run all comments through the chapter synopsis list anyway. So I guess it may just take me some getting used to.

I was going to say that someone going directly to the latest page of a comic would miss the synopsis/comment list page, but I guess there's no effective way to get to the latest comic page without going through the synopsis page, anyhow.

... Oh no I see, there is, I think--it looks like if I'm subscribed to a comic and it updates, I can jump directly to the new page through my follow notification list. If my subscribers do that, there isn't much chance they'd see the chapter synopsis, I guess, unless they were really dedicated to back-tracking there to leave a comment.
I see. I'll look into what I can do to make this more prevalent / visible in the reading experience. I actually want to make more than just the comments/synopsis stuff available in there. For example the "subscribe to comic", "follow creator", "donate" etc etc are all other things I've been wanting to make much more visible while you're reading.

This one requires a bit more work than just some fixing, so it'll be a slight while before I can properly address all of them, however, I will look into adding a comments count icon type thing in the mean time :)

Kind of unrelated, but it took me a minute or two to figure out how to subscribe to a comic. It's the "Enable alerts" button on the chapter list page, but that language, and little bell(+) icon, did not say "PUSH THIS TO SUBSCRIBE" to me. It also isn't a very graphically emphasized button; as a webcomic author I would want my Subscribe button to be almost unbearably obvious and unavoidable. I would also want it on each and every comic page, like up in the navigation bar.

The Heart "donate" icon on the mobile chapter list page looks much more like the typical subscribe button, to me. (Also, I can't find that Donate/heart button in the non-mobile view.)
Noted. I'll be looking to streamline the way alerts and subscriptions work a bit more to align with the "follow" of creator directly.

That said, I'll change the text/copy on the button a bit to be more clear.

Also, it would be lovely to have a Preview button for forum posts. : )
No problem! I'll add this asap -- I've been wanting this myself.... hehe :D

Also, here on the forum the "Edit" button is invisible unless you happen to have your mouse pointer over the post itself--this led to me hunting around a bit before I happened to get it to appear.
Ah -- yes this is intentional that it's a hover to show. I think that's fine for now... if there turns out to be a lot of confusion with this one I'll re-evaluate at that point!

Thanks again for all the feedback @smbhax :)